Sunday 22 November 2015

Book Review: The Queen's Gambit

Hi lovely bloggers, 

Not much time for blogging lately but, I have had time to listen to a great Tudor novel on Audible (when I go for my walk on my way home from work).


It is the first in a trilogy about "forgotten" Tudors.  This first one is about Katherine Parr, Henry Viii's sixth wife.  Here is the publisher's blurb about the novel:

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived: This is the story of the one who survived. 

Widowed for the second time at age thirty-one Katherine Parr falls deeply for the dashing courtier Thomas Seymour and hopes at last to marry for love. Instead, she attracts the amorous attentions of the ailing, egotistical, and dangerously powerful Henry VIII. No one is in a position to refuse a royal proposal so, haunted by the fates of his previous wives—two executions, two annulments, one death in childbirth—Katherine must wed Henry and rely on her wits and the help of her loyal servant Dot to survive the treacherous pitfalls of life as Henry’s queen. Yet as she treads the razor’s edge of court intrigue, she never quite gives up on love.

And here is  a link to a review in The Guardian and to Elizabeth Fremantle's website.

As I said, I actually listened to the novel on Audible, and I enjoyed the narration immensely.  If you are into "talking" books, then I can highly recommend "reading" it in that way.

I intend to download the 2nd and 3rd novels in the trilogy to listen to whilst I am away on our trip.  The second novel is about Lady Jane Grey's two sisters (who survive her execution) and the third is set in Elizabeth II's court, towards the end of her reign.  Both sound really good and are read by the same narrator as the first, whom I really enjoyed listening to.

Anyway, enough from me for now.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, 

hugs, Kaye

11 comments:

Melody said...

Thanks for the review, I think I'll give the first one a go. I don't read much historical fiction but it's good to give something new a go.

Margaret said...

I loved this book too! I had no clue there were two more! Thanks for the tip -- now I have to add them to my audible list.

Barb said...

Thanks so much for the heads up! I love audio books. My DH watches every version of CSI so I like to be listening to a good book at the same time.

Penny said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I'm always looking for book suggestions ~ I'll have to check this one out.

Tiffstitch said...

Thanks for the review, I'm always on the lookout for good audio books.

butterfly said...

Sounds good , have a good trip.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for an interesting recommendation.
I used to read a lot of historical fiction by Jean Plaidy. But my most recent read was by new author Laura Purcell, Mistress of the Court, set in Georgian times.

Bea said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've just picked up "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" by Margaret George. I'm not very far into it, but enjoying the read.

Crazee4books said...

I'm always looking for historical fiction novels that are well written and (for the most part at least) historically correct. Will look into this one for sure. I think I remember reading Jean Plaidy's story about Katherine Parr but that was many, many (many) years ago.

jhm said...

Since you recommended it, I have it on reserve at the library. It should be at the library this week. Meanwhile I have started reading one of her other books on my kindle, also borrowed from the library. Great way to start my December reading. Thanks.

JHM

Kaisievic said...

Enjoy!

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...