Friday 6 March 2020

February Miscellanea_Part Two

Monsalvat

For my girlfriend, Heather's birthday, my other dear friend, Franca and I took her on a tour of Montsalvat and then lunch at the cafe there.  


This photo below cracks us up as this gentleman and his baby photobombed us! I love the fact that we are all laughing with delight!




Montsalvat is "where the life of art is lived and a fabled past meets a vibrant present. Montsalvat is Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community; a place where art in all its forms is made and taught, and art’s transformative power is celebrated in exhibitions, festivals, concerts, workshops and artists’ residencies."

It is a place full of gorgeous buildings with interesting nooks and crannies, all built with recycled materials (long before the current recycle craze). Let me show you.....



If you are a fan of the Phryne Fisher Murder Mysteries, well "Murder under the Misteltoe was filmed in the Great Hall at Montsalvat which they turned into a winter chalet - snow and all!  (NB: We do not get snow in Melbourne).



Here is a scene from the episode below and you can read all about the Phryne Fisher books and the TV series if you click on the links.






























Our lunch:




Here we are waiting for the tour to start, I think that Heather looks like a movie star here with her dark glasses.



Franca took this candid shot of me through a mullioned window - I wonder what I am smiling at - obviously happy thoughts!



I must say, we had a fabulous day and for a final fillip, my aunt (by marriage) actually lived at Montsalvat as a child in the (hippy) commune in the 1940s and 50s as her father came out to Australia from England to help build some of the buildings.

My Garden

I planted about eight or nine of these plants (I thought that they were hollyhocks but when I posted this pic on FB/IG, everyone else who knows far more about gardening than I do says "No" but maybe Snapdragons (?).  I am sure that I planted Hollyhocks, though!  Anyway, the point is that after months and months of waiting - really healthy plants - this is all that I have to show in the way of flowers!   So disappointed.


So, that is the end of Part Two of February Miscellanea, one more part to come (either later today or tomorrow - and there may be a nice surprise in this one).

I would love it if you read Part One, too.

Thanks for visiting and please don't forget to leave a comment as I do love a good chat,

hugs, 

9 comments:

Faith... said...

What beautiful buildings! That must have been a wonderful day spent with your friends. Sorry about your flowers in your garden, but they are pretty. We have a hard time growing anything outside besides cactuses in this desert heat!

Kay said...

This looks like a wonderful place to visit, the buildings are beautiful. x

Mary said...

What a lovely place to spend a day with friends. You took some wonderful photos. Your lunch looks so delicious too!

Carm said...

I love to go along on your trips via pictures.

butterfly said...

Looks like you all had a fun day .
Lovely photos .
The flowers look to be foxgloves to me, the wild ones are pink .

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely day out with friends. And random babies!
The building does look very English, although the weather definitely does not!

Barb said...

Looks like a great day with your friends. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos of that amazing place. I have always enjoyed your posts about the fascinating places you have visited.

Julie said...

A lovely place to visit with friends, what a nice day out.
The photobomber made me smile.

Astrids dragon said...

It looks like you had a fantastic day with your friends. What a beautiful place to visit, thanks for sharing it with us!

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...