Monday 2 March 2020

2020 Reading Challenge_February Update

Oh dear, I am still floundering a bit with my Reading Goal for this year - I am now 11 books behind schedule!  (Last month I was only six books behind - I am slipping, lol!)


But I must admit, I am not too fussed as all of the time that I have not been reading has been spent in stitching!  So, how could I complain?



However, I have read some fabulous books this month.

I listened to three more books in the Lottie Parker series by Patricia Gibney.  So well worth listening to on Audible for the gorgeous Irish accent alone but the thriller always has a great twist although I am pretty certain that I wouldn't want to live in the town of Ragmullin - too many predators!

"The Glad Shout" by Alice Robinson is a dystopian novel set in a flooding Melbourne in an Australia that is politically fractured with our Federation dissolved and every State and Territory shutting its borders as it copes with the devastation of nature.  It is not a thriller as such but a beautifully written story of one woman and her child with flashbacks as to how the world has come to this pass.

"Washington Black" by Esi Edugyan is the story of a slave in the early nineteenth century who has some extraordinary adventures.  There is more than a touch of magical realism to it.

"Wild Game" is a memoir by Adrienne Brodeur and tells the story of her mother's love affair with her step-father's best friend and how that changes her own life.

All of the above I can recommend to you as great reads, however, I wouldn't bother with the other two (Vigilant and the The Catherine Howard Conspiracy) as they were both poorly written.

Hoping to up my game in March and get a bit more reading done - fingers crossed.

I'd love to know what you are all reading, so drop me a line and let me know.

Thanks for visiting and please don't forget to leave a comment as I do love a good chat,

hugs, 

5 comments:

An Arizona Stitcher I said...

Hi Kaye. Washington Black sounds interesting. I'll have to look that one up. I do the reading challenge too and I set my reading to 10 books. I stitch more than I read! It used to be the other way! I am now on Diana Gabaldon's Lord John and the Private Matter. I had just finished my 6th book. Take care.

Maggie said...

I've already fallen behind with my reading already too, can't seem to find the right books to hold my interest at the moment.

Kay said...

I always love a good recommendation so love seeing these posts. My favourite books that I read in February are Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon and The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley. x

Mary said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I added Washington Black to my list to look for and I think I will try the Lottie Parker tape. I tried listening while stitching a while ago and got lost in the book that I made to many errors. I might be a better stitcher now and I'll give it a go.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I just finished Q by Christina Dalcher, the follow up to Vox. Not a sequel at all, just another dystopian vision!
I'm also reading Starfell which is our Children's Book of the Month. I love it! It's about a young witch who has to save her world with the help of the monster under the bed, a dragon and a Forgotten Teller. It's got some lovely unusual details. Aimed at Nine to Twelve and adults LOL.
I have glanced at least three proofs this month which could be in the running for The New Eleanor Oliphant title. Meet Dawn Brightside is the best so far. Homeless woman with a secret. Only it's her daughter, not her mother.

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...