Sunday 8 January 2017

The Alphabet Club_Saturday Detention for R



IS FOR

THE RED CENTRE

OF

AUSTRALIA


Now, growing up, I always used to hear about the Red Centre of Australia but you know, it was one of those things that you hear about but do not really understand. Especially when you live in the city on the Eastern seaboard.

But then, one day, way back in 2006 or 2007, TraderVic and I were flying to Darwin and our flight had a stopover at Alice Springs - Well, coming in to land at the airport - the soil was bright red!  


[You need to realise that before that I had only every flown north or south from Melbourne to Brisbane or Hobart or if I flew West to Perth, you do not fly over the centre of Australia and when you fly to Europe, you are too high to see the ground, so landing in Alice Springs was the first time I could actually see the ground in the centre of Australia].

Here are some more pics of what the landscape looks like....











... and, of course, there is that Big Red Rock in the centre of Australia ... Uluru (but more on that in my "U" post in a few month's time).




Now, don't ask me exactly why the centre of Australia is so Red, obviously it is minerals of some sort in the soil but I could not actually find any information on it, at all!

But, it is undeniably beautiful, isn't it?

Anyway, that is all from me for the Letter R but let me explain what The Alphabet Club is all about ....

  It is the brainchild of Chiara from The Grey Tail and Jo from Serendipitous Stitching and is loosely based on the premise of the movie "The Breakfast Club" - you can see the button for The Alphabet Club on my right sidebar.

On the first Saturday of each month, members of the club have "detention" and have to post about something that will enlighten others about their culture (as blogland is so diverse).  Of course, there should/could be something stitchy in there, if possible (although I seemed to have moved right away from that premise as the months have gone by, instead focusing on boring you all with quirky facts about Australia - lol!)

Each month will be a different letter of the alphabet - hence the club's name - and, of course, we started with "A" and now we are up to "R".

The Alphabet Club



hugs,
 



P.S. If you want to see what the other detainees got up to this month.  Please click on this link here.

P.P.S. Please don't forget to check out my first little giveaway for 2017. It closes on the 12th Jan.









21 comments:

Julie said...

That certainly is very red soil, nice pictures you chose to show in your R post.

Vickie said...

THAT is beautiful! Hope all is well with your father.♥

Claudette497 said...

That's amazing - it looks vast and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaye,wow what amazing pics,i have neverbeen there before and boy it sure is red,thankyou for sharing Kaye,i found it all very interesting.x

Heather said...

I love learning about Australia! Great post I didn't know there was a red center!

Linda said...

That was very interesting Kaye and beautiful pictures.

Linda

Bea said...

That's beautiful. Prince Edward Island has red soil as well, not quite as bright red, but I found it rather fascinating as well.

Barb said...

New information to me Kaye, very interesting and quite beautiful.

Mini said...

New information to me Kaye, love the pictures. I will ask my Aussie friends abt it now. I'm trying to play catch up with TAC, have posted yesterday on my blog.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

I read the novel A Town Called Alice by Neville Shute back in the early 1970's never realising how beautiful the area is..great post Kaye.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Correcting myself,A Town Like Alice,it was over 40 years ago since I read it!

Brigitte said...

Great pictures, Kaye, and the red colour of the soil is really a very deep red. But I'm sure that you can only realize it when you are seeing it with your own eyes.

Christine said...

What stunning pictures

Carol said...

WOW! I had no idea that it was red in the middle, Kaye! Such great photos--I certainly hope to visit Australia one of these days and see your lovely country for myself (minus the snakes!!).

jocondine said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful red part (heart) of Australia. Magnificent landscapes. Amicalement.

Margaret said...

That red is pretty amazing! There are parts of the US that have red soil too, but I don't think it's quite as red as that. I think it's iron content??? No clue. lol! But I always think the red soil is pretty. Pretty amazing. Australia is such an interesting country.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Wow, that really is red! It's a stunning part of the world.

Frances said...

I love the RED and your beautiful photos! But my favorite photos have to be the ones with the camels!!!!

Tiffstitch said...

Great choice for the letter, and wow.. that really is RED!

Pamela said...

How interesting!

Melinda Forbes said...

Amazing just amazing - Your blog is better than our TV Channels - Travel and also Discovery. Thank you for sharing your R

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...