Sunday 2 February 2020

2020 Reading Challenge_January Update

Well, after Happy Dancing all over the house on January 1 for exceeding my 2019 Reading Goal, I am floundering a bit with my new (higher) goal for 2020!  
I blame it on two things:

1. My broken nose which made it very difficult to concentrate (pain, headaches, couldn't wear my glasses for long lengths of time, operation, general anaesthetic - you get the picture).

2. Lots and lots of new stitching this year (and blogging, too, for that matter) - which I am very happy about but, of course, something has to give!





Yes, that is right - six books behind schedule!  Oh well, I do have eleven more months to try to catch up.

Of the nine books read so far - six were really great, one was silly but okay and a good read when you do have a headache, and the other two were very disappointing.

The books I enjoyed were:

"Shoot Through", this was set in Melbourne, and is the third instalment in the series about Stella, a wisecracking social worker who somehow keeps getting caught up in the dealings of criminals.

"Poison Song", the third in a fascinating fantasy series.

"No place to die" and "Trust no one" were the second and third instalments in the DI Mike Lockyer series.

"The Missing ones" is the first in a new series for me about DI Lottie Parker, set in Ireland.

"The Lying Room" is a psychological thriller set in London.

Of the rest:

"A Mrs Miracle Christmas" was a bit of froth and bubble, "The Vine Witch" started really well but got boring" and "2nd gen" had a great premise but was so poorly written and plotted that I felt embarrassed for the author.

I'd be interested in what you are reading, so drop me a line and let me know.

Thanks for visiting and please don't forget to leave a comment as I do love a good chat,

hugs, 





8 comments:

Barb said...

What did you think of the Vine Witch? I read it but did not fall in love. OK but that is about it. Debbie Macomber lives two towns down from where I live. The town is called Port Orchard. They had a big Cedar Cove weekend a few years ago and people came from all over the world! Go figure!

Kay said...

I rather like Nicci French as an author, especially the Freda Klein series. I am presently reading Philomela by Martin Sixsmith which is based on a true story of a young Irish girl that has to give up her baby, also rereading A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman for book group this week. Other books that I have read in January that I would recommend are Right Behind You by Lisa Gardner, Still Me by Jojo Moyes, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. The other books I read were just alright so I won't bother naming them. x

Hazel said...

Well you’ve read more than me!

Mia said...

Thank you for the reading suggestions, Kaye. Keep up the great work.
And take care of yourself, my friend. Kisses!!!

Julie said...

Our book group recently read The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes, based on a true story we all enjoyed that one. At present I've got the Garden of Lost and Found on my table, its ok, but not as exciting as I had hoped.

Cathy said...

I read nine books in January, some were Amish romances, but I also re-read Airport by Alex Hailey and a couple of Action/Adventure and Science Fiction type books. I added Good Money (the first in series for Stella the social worker) to my list of books I want to read.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I've not read any of those but I have just finished a proof copy of the new Christina Dalcher book called Q. She wrote Vox about a dystopian America and this is another version of a different dystopia!

RJ said...

I am so behind in reading Kaye so you have me beat by a mile. Take good care of yourself first and foremost and you will get to those books when you are feeling better. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...