Tuesday 14 April 2020

2020 Reading Challenge_March Update

Even more "Oh Dear" from last month. Despite Iso, I am now floundering a lot with my Reading Goal for this year - I am now a whopping nineteen books behind schedule!  (In January I was only six books behind and then in February I was eleven books behind - I am slipping badly now - lol!).

I think it is because I have been going for lots of walks and watching heaps of Netflix whilst stitching.  If you want to see what I stitched on lately, please check out my previous posts to this one.




... and here are the finished books up until today.




So, three more in the Lottie Parker series by Patricia Gibney - really engaging to listen to on Audible but boy, too many serial killers in Ragmullin. Glad that I don't live there!

Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead was a great companion piece to read after reading Washington Black last month.  It is about the "railroad" which rescued slaves from the deep south pre-Civil war but in this story the railroad is a real underground railroad.

The Salt Path was an incredible memoir about a couple who, through no fault of their own, become homeless and decide to embark upon a 630 mile coastal walk.

Keeping to the Irish detective theme, In the Woods and The Likeness are the first two novels in the Dublin Murders series, which was showing recently on BBCfirst on Foxtel - both were a very interesting read.

The Fifth Season is an absolutely fascinating fantasy novel - the world building by the author is incredible.  It is the first in a trilogy and I am currently reading the second one - The Obelisk Gate.  It is very interestingly written, albeit a bit challenging in style.

Station Eleven is one for the times, I can tell you!  It is set in the Great Lakes region of Canada and USA after a fictional swine flu pandemic, known as the Georgian Flu has devastated the world, killing most of the population. Rather chilling, given the current state of the world!

I also read Emily St John Mandel's new novel, The Glass Hotel, which I quite enjoyed but wasn't as good as Station Eleven, I don't think.

Lastly, I decided to read some Matthew Reilly for the light relief, so there are a couple of his latest short stories/novellas there and I am currently rereading Seven Ancient Wonders - so silly but a good distraction, I find.

UPDATED:  I forgot to mention that I am also currently listening to The Mirror and the Light, Hilary Mantel's third and last book on Thomas Cromwell on Audible - all 38 hours of it - lol!  It is fabulous so far - I wonder if she will win the hat trick - ie a third Booker Prize?

What have you been reading lately?


Thanks for visiting and please don't forget to leave a comment as I do love a good chat,

hugs, 


P.S. Please click here if you want to check out my latest stitching.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

I too have been behind in my reading. I have been watching TV series (binge watching them in the evenings) instead of my usual reading. I think we need to do what gets us through the days right now. Hope you are safe and well.

Carol said...

I'm finding it harder to read, too, Kaye... I AM able to listen to audio books while I'm crafting and walking around the house or cooking--that helps :) I think a lot of our goals for 2020 will be left by the wayside this year, but that's okay--we need to go easy on ourselves :)

Julie said...

I think a lot of our plans for this year will not happen Kaye.

Barb said...

You need to be more like me Kaye, no goals so I don't get frustrated!I am just kidding but I do sort of flow. I have been on a Kristen Hannah binge lately. I do love her books. She lives in the NW as I do. Her books are often set in this area. Her book Nightingale was big a few years ago.

Kay said...

Recent books that I have enjoyed are The Good daughter by Karin Slighter (Amazing), Before I met You, Lisa Jewell, The Identicals by Elin Hildebrand, Inheritance by Dani Shapiro (also amazing, this is a memoir), The familiars by Stacey Hall, Careless Love by Peter Robinson. x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The Salt Path was one of our Books of the Month, I had a customer rave about it so much I thought we had switched places and he was selling it to me!
I think Underground Railroad was another month's Choice.
Obviously the new Mantel was huge for us, singe title window display and all that!
Last month's Crime title was The Chain. My manager loved it, you should read the blurb and see if it's your sort of thing.
The most recent adult book I read was Q by Christina Dalcher who wrote Vox. I do recommend both of them.
Also Meet Dawn Brightside - trying to be the new Eleanor Oiliphant. But still a good story.

Tiffstitch said...

Great selections! Thank you for the info about each one as well. My most interesting read lately has been Get Well Soon by Jennifer Wright. It's about plagues from ancient times up through HIV. An excellent read and with a good amount of humour despite the subject matter.

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...